- The competition is open to breweries operating as a registered business and registered for tax within Europe or South Africa.
- Affiliates, channel partners and employees of the BarthHaas group as well as anyone directly involved with Project X are not eligible to win the UnderDog Brewing Competition.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age.
- The entry beer must be brewed to a recognised popular, pale and hop-forward style. The style must be named in the Submission Form. The BJCP 2015 style guidelines and descriptions will be used to assess each entry’s accuracy, available at: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
- The Kazbek hop variety must make up a minimum of 50% of the total hop addition used when brewing the entry beer. All formats of Kazbek hops are allowed, including whole leaf and T90 pellets.
- Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, Simcoe, Sabro, Vic Secret or Enigma varieties of hops in any format cannot be used at any point when making the UnderDog entry beer.
- While natural adjuncts, advanced hop products & fruit additions are allowed as part of the brewing process, the spirit of the competition is to celebrate Kazbek and emphasize its attributes.
- Entries must be delivered to Simply Hops in Paddock Wood before 5pm on Wednesday 20th March 2020. The delivery address is:
- Entries must be submitted with a completed Submission Form which will be emailed to you when you register at www.underdogbrewcomp.beer, and is also available by request through the competition email address. Any entries submitted without a completed accompanying Submission Form may be rejected at the election of Simply Hops.
- Entries must be submitted only in “small pack format” of bottles or cans, clearly labelled, with a minimum of 8 litres provided.
- Competition discount code entitles the purchaser to 15% off Kazbek purchases for web purchases only subject to availability. Code may be used one time for a maximum total discounted volume of 25kg. Discount does not apply to contracted volumes, or contracts going into the future. Limit one discount code per brewery.
- All eligible entries will be judged by a panel of independent judges using the blind tasting method during March 2020.
- The beer will be judged purely on the judging criteria described in the “Find Out More” page available online at www.underdogbrewcomp.beer. Criteria is also available by request to the competition email address. No other criteria will be considered during the judging process to determine the UnderDog Champion.
- One person must be named on the Submission Form as the “Lead Brewer,” and they will be the primary beneficiary of the £10,000 travel fund. The Champion brewery will be able to substitute another employee to use the travel fund in place of the named beneficiary only with the advance agreement of Simply Hops.
- The Champion brewery must be able to accurately replicate the winning beer and provide a minimum of 150L per brew in kegs or small pack to be served at Simply Hops events during Champion Year 2020.
- Simply Hops will make all reasonable efforts to promote and serve the winning beer at the events attended by Simply Hops throughout 2020 with the notice to and agreement of the Champion brewery.
- The winning brewery will be the UnderDog Brewing Competition Champion for one calendar year from 31st March 2020 to 30th March 2021 after which point all agreements between the UnderDog Champion Brewery and Simply Hops will come to an end.
- The brewery of the winning beer will receive a prize payment of £2500 through one of two methods. Either a deposit will be made within 30 days from receipt of details of a valid business banking account, or equivalent credit will be applied to any current or future Simply Hops contracts at Simply Hops’ discretion.
- If the winning brewery receives direct prize payment and elects to collect it in a currency other than Pounds Sterling, then the prize will be paid based on the exchange rate at the time of transfer. Any additional fees incurred due to the conversion and transfer will be deducted from the prize fund before the transfer takes place.
- A further travel fund of a maximum of £10,000.00 will be made available to cover accommodation, subsistence, travel and event entry costs for events and trips that will be agreed upon between Simply Hops and the winner with sufficient advance notice. Simply Hops will have final approval on all travel fund expenses for Champion’s bookings.
- All bookings and costs in relation to the travel fund will be managed directly by Simply Hops in agreement with the winner. No payment alternatives will be offered for the travel fund in any circumstances.
- Any funds not spent from the travel fund by 30th March 2021 will be forfeit.
- By participating, you agree that Simply Hops can use your contact information solely for the purposes of the UnderDog Brew Competition 2020. All personal data will be stored securely in-line with the General Data Protection Regulations. They will be deleted from our records when we have no further legitimate business use for them, or upon request from you.
UnderDog Brewing Competition
Hop Pocket Lane